Fonio and Broccoli Salad
- 6 c. 10# Pearled Fonio
- 2 oz. GFS Vegetable Salad Oil
- 3 qt. Water
- 1 tsp. GFS Iodized Salt
- 2¼ lb. GFS Red Beets, fresh
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 3 c. Primo Gusto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 lb. GFS Broccoli, small florets, trimmed
- 2¼ lb. Markon Sweet Grape Tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1½ lb. GFS Yellow Peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 8 ct. Markon Lemons, juiced
- 1⅓ oz. Markon Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- 1⅓ oz. Markon Chives, fresh
- 18 oz. Markon Ready-Set-Serve Baby Arugula
- 6 lb. GFS ½” White Diced Chicken
1. Combine the fonio and oil in a nonreactive saucepan. Whisk in cold water and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
3. Place the beets on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Roast in a 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until just cooked through. Cook time will depend on the size of the beets.
4. Allow the beets to cool. Peel and remove the skin. Dice into ¼” pieces.
5. Place the trimmed beets in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss together. Place in a covered storage container and refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 1 Tbsp. of olive oil on a heated, nonstick sauté pan. When the oil begins to smoke, add 2 oz. of broccoli and sauté until tender but still firm to the bite.
2. Add 1½ oz. of grape tomatoes and 1 oz. of yellow peppers. Sauté about 15 seconds or just until lightly charred.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly.
4. Place 6 oz. of fonio, 4 oz. of diced chicken, 1 Tbsp. each of olive oil and lemon juice, 1 tsp. each of parsley and chives in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Mix together using a rubber spatula. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture, 1½ oz. of warmed beets and ¾ oz. of arugula to the fonio mixture. Mix together using a rubber spatula. Place the salad on a chilled serving plate.
STATS PER SERVING Calories: 660; Fat: 33 g.; Saturated Fat: 4.5 g.; Trans Fat: 0 g.; Sodium: 190 mg.; Carbohydrates: 54 g.; Protein: 40 g.