Mini Ham Biscuits
YieldMakes 24 3-biscuit servings.
- 2 ct. Gordon Choice Grade A Shell Eggs
- 4 c. GFS All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp. GFS Granulated Beet Sugar
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 4 oz. GFS Unsalted Butter
- 2 c. 1% Buttermilk
- ½ c. Recipe: Molasses Cream Cheese
- 2 lb. Gordon Choice Cream Cheese
- 4 oz. Molasses
- 2¼ lb. Prosciutto Ham
- 4 oz. Markon Ready Set Serve Arugula
Recipe: Molasses Cream Cheese
1. Place the cream cheese and molasses in a stainless steel electric mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix together thoroughly.
2. Transfer to a covered storage container. Label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Break the eggs into a stainless steel mixing bowl. Add a small amount of water and whisk. Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Chop the butter into ½" pieces. Keep the butter cold as possible. Sprinkle the butter over the flour. Using the palms of your hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients as quickly as possible. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour chilled buttermilk into the well. Using a rubber spatula mix until the dough just comes together.
2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Dust the top of the dough with flour. Gently fold dough over onto itself 5 or 6 times. Shape into a circle ½" thick. Cover with film wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to allow the dough to rest and chill.
3. Cut out biscuits with a 1" cutter. Cut the circles as close together as possible to get the best yield. Spray a parchment-lined sheet tray with pan spray. Place the biscuits on the tray far enough apart so they do not touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the egg wash. Do not get egg wash on the sides of the biscuits or they may not rise properly. Place in a 350°F oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are tall and light gold on top. Allow to cool.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Slice three biscuits in half so the egg-washed portion of the biscuit will be the top of the sandwich. Spread ½ tsp. of cream cheese on the top and bottom half of each biscuit. Divide 1½ oz. of ham between the halves. Place 5-6 arugula leaves on top of the ham. Place the the top of the biscuit on the arugula and serve.